Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tuesay September 16th 2008



Click on the above photo to see slideshow of Boyne Mountain Ski Resort.



Click on the above photo to see a slideshow of Cross Village, MI



Click on the above picture to see a slideshow of todays adventure.




Click on the above photo to see a slideshow of Castle Farms.



Click on the above photo to see a slideshow of the train layout at Castle Farms.



Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Happy 50th Rob!

I’ve wanted to see what a ski resort in Michigan looks like, so today our first stop is near Boyne City at The Boyne Mountain Ski Resort. It is all inclusive. It has its own airport, golf course, indoor water park, and of course the restaurants, shops and sales offices. They keep with the Swiss theme for all the buildings. There were several lifts and runs. It sure wouldn’t take long to get to the bottom! But when you live in flat country any hill will do!

From there we followed along the bottom of Lake Charlevoix. Here again it is all lined with gorgeous homes. Dick is watching his GPS and says “ I show no more road and we are in the water.” Sure enough there is a ferry just in front of us. I had tried to call Rob, but my phone didn’t have good service, so I set it on my lap to try later. While on the ferry I asked if I could get out and take a picture and the operator gave me permission. This ferry had cables on both sides and no current, so it felt a lot more secure than the Buena Vista ferry. We departed and headed down the road. I went to check to see if I had better reception and could not find my phone, so we turn around to check out the ferry. Sure enough it was all in one piece next to the edge.

Back on the road as we were approaching Charlevoix we saw a beautiful castle. Dick turned around so we could get a better look. It was called Castle Farms and a sign said they gave tours starting at 10 o’clock. Since it was just 10 we headed in to scope it out. The buildings were built in 1918 by Albert Loeb, president of Sears and Roebuck Catalog to operate a model farm. We had a great time, check it out at
www.castlefarms.com if you would like to know more about its history and restoration. The lady there suggested we may enjoy the stone houses designed by Earl A. Young in town. They were very unusual and well worth the drive by!

We followed Lake Michigan up to Bay Harbor and we could hardly believe the resorts, condo, homes and yacht clubs here! This is where the rich people from Detroit and Chicago come!

In Petoskey there was a bridge loaded with guys trying to catch salmon.
We continued on through Harbor Springs and “The Tunnel of Trees Drive.” At Good Hart we visited another Old Mission and came out at Cross Village. We ate at the “Legs End,” which is a famous Polish restaurant (http://www.legsinn.com/).

We’re tired again and it’s time to head home! Yup, home is where our coach is! “Is that Gaylord tonight, honey? I still have my phone!”

Red Lion Lady (& Man)

Send us an E-mail if you would like to comment on todays story.

No comments:

Post a Comment