Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Oakridge Boys 2010


We had a great time seeing the “Oak Ridge Boys” with our friends. It brought back lots of memories of the good times I had with my mom. She loved to see “The Boys” and we would go see them whenever we could.
I believe the concerts at the State Fair were her favorite. It was back when you could see the shows with just your fair admission. We would spend the day going through the buildings. We had to check out all the demonstrations and then eat the samples. After sitting through them and the samples, we were rejuvenated enough go through the 4 H building and see all the displays of the kids sewing. She would lovingly touch the fabrics and look at their sewing, checking to see how old they were etc. We’d have to go through the quilt building and compare all the quilts. We would walk that building several times because she had to find the one she liked best. Sometime in between the buildings we’d have to stop at the Oregon Dairy Association and get an ice cream cone and get some seasoned fries from her favorite stand.

We’d head for the concert for good seats and we usually were only about a 1/3 of the way up so they were just “ok” seats. We’d get seated and she would say she was hungry and have me save her place. She’d get back just in time for us to devourer the food before the concert started while the others looked longingly at our food.

Once it started she turned into a teenager!!! She loved Joe and would poke me and say “Barb, have you ever seen anything like that?” or make a comment about how good he looked as he would jump around on the stage. She would jump up and down and clap and shout like the best of them. When the first concert was finished, she would make a B line for the front row and we would be right down in front of Joe for the second show. Joe would move around the stage a lot so she did consent to sit on the right side in front of Richard once, since he was my favorite.

10 years ago we took her to her last Oak Ridge Boys concert here at Chinook Winds. She was just as spirited as ever and had a ball. Saturday I realized one of the reasons I like the “The Boys” so much is because of the good times I had with my mom at their concerts. I am so thankful I had the privilege to do these things with my mom.

Mom, I hope you were watching us and had another great time with me and “The Boys”.


1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Barb. Good job! I sure miss her energy and enthusiasum, too.

    ReplyDelete